Sweet N Savory Enchiladas
Whenever my husband has a potluck at the office, he signs me up to bring these saucy enchiladas. After preparing these many times, I finally enlisted him to help make them.—GaleLynn Peterson, Long Beach, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes, onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and process until blended. Transfer to a saucepan. Add oil. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Gradually add a small amount of hot tomato mixture to cream, stirring constantly. Return all to pan; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 2/3 cup of the tomato cream sauce. Spoon meat mixture onto tortillas. Roll up and place seam side down in a baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchilada.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with onions.
Purchase green onions with fresh-looking tops and clean white ends. Store them wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze sliced or chopped green onions for up to 1 year. One green onion equals about 2 tablespoons sliced.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 490 calories, 30g fat (13g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Sweet 'N' Savory Enchiladas in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.