Sweet ‘n’ Savory Date Loaves
My family and I were thrilled when this won "best of show" for quick breads at the state fair a few years ago. I sometimes substitute peach nectar for the apricot nectar with terrific results. —Diane Card, Hilliard, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes3 mini loaves (5 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups apricot nectar
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- In a large saucepan, bring the apricot nectar, dates and apricots to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add zest and rosemary. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and milk. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with date mixture.
- Pour into three greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 260 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Savory Date Loaves in Best of Country Breads