Sweet ‘n’ Creamy Coleslaw
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes32 (3/4-cup) servings
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 medium heads cabbage (6 to 7 pounds), shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 7 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in vinegar and water. Add egg and milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Cool to room temperature, stirring several times.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and cream. Stir in mayonnaise. Add cooked dressing; mix well. In several large bowls, combine the cabbage, carrots, celery and green onions. Add dressing and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 158 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Jul 4, 2015
Delicious! It makes an enormous amount of coleslaw and it would be helpful to have a reduced version.
Aug 4, 2010
For our taste it needed just a little more salt.
Nov 2, 2008
Does anyone have a reduced version of this recipe? It's just myself & my DHCA_girl