- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix or cake mix of your choice
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup milk
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons orange paste food coloring
- 4 green gumdrops
- 12 black jujubes
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions for cupcakes. Fill 24 greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Stir in food coloring. Cut a thin slice off the top of each cupcake. Spread frosting on 12 cupcakes. Invert remaining cupcakes and place on top; frost top and sides.
- For stems, cut each gumdrop into three lengthwise wedges; place one piece on top of each cupcake. Cut jujubes into thin slices; use a bottom slice for each mouth. From remaining slices, cut one large triangle and two smaller ones. Position two small triangles and a large triangle on each cupcake for eyes and nose. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forSweet Jack-o'-Lanterns
"We love these"
"I think these are great, I am going to re-create using mini cupcakes as I think the larger ones might be a bit to much for the smaller children. Thanks for the idea"
"I just love this idea, I signed up to bring cupcakes to my daughter 2nd grade class party this month...thank-you!ehyoung"
"I am going to make these for our annual Halloween cakewalk. We live in a very small town and the kids look forward to this every year."
"Neat, the kids will love these"