Sweet-Hot Spiced Nuts
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups unblanched almonds
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large bowl, beat egg white until frothy. Add almonds and oil; stir gently to coat. Combine the remaining ingredients; add to egg white mixture and gently stir to coat.
- Spread into a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 257 calories, 20g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 21, 2012
I accidentally reviewed the "Sweet & Spicy Nuts" recipe, but had actually made this one-oops!!! I made this with a mix of almonds, pecans, and walnuts and it was delicious. The second time I made it, I added some chili powder, a bit of cardamom, and extra cayenne b/c we like things spicy. It's excellent as-is, but even better with the extra kick.
Nov 15, 2011
This recipe is excellent! Everywhere I take these almonds, people love them. I have a weird sort of pickiness in that I don't like flavor combinations involving a lot of sweet and savory together (such as sweet-and-sour or sweet-hot). I love these almonds, though!
Jan 31, 2010
I made this recipe at Christmas and will make it again. First of all it is very tasty. Second it is very easy to make. And it is not as hot as you may expect, and you could adjust the amount of cayenne pepper if you wanted. As I said I will be making this dish again.
Dec 4, 2009
Nice taste--hard to stop eating. The "hot" isn't noticeable at first, but grows a little--but not serious heat.
Nov 26, 2009
These are GREAT! My go-to recipe that everyone asks for. I use 3/4 tsp. cinnamon and no coriander b/c I don't even know what coriander is. haha Addicting!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.