Sweet Hoosier Dog Sauce
In our area of Indiana, we love sweet Coney sauce on our hot dogs! Our town still has an old drive-in that is famous for theirs. —Jill Thomas, Washington, Indiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Hot dogs and buns
- Optional: Diced onion, sliced pickles and shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato paste; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in next 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve sauce over hot dogs in buns. Add optional toppings as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently; add water if necessary.