- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 cooked bacon strips
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the corn, sugar, eggs, butter, salt, vanilla and 4-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine confectioners' sugar and bacon. Process until combined; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 16-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. squares.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry squares, a few at a time, until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with bacon-sugar mixture. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forSweet Corn Beignets with Bacon-Sugar Dust
"FANTASTIC! Something a little different, but we absolutely loved them!"
"Simply cannot belive that anyone would muck up Beignets!"