Sweet and Tangy Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 6 unsweetened DOLE pineapple slices
- 6 green pepper rings
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine egg substitute and milk. Stir in the crumbs, onion and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 36 balls, about 1 in. each.
- In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs; drain if necessary. Combine the cornstarch, pineapple juice, barbecue sauce and water until smooth; stir in cranberry sauce.
- Pour over meatballs. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; top with pineapple and green pepper.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts6 each: 338 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 556mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Oct 31, 2014
My family said it was good, but I have "better" meatball recipes. It tasted a bit too much like the barbecue sauce for my taste, thereby diminishing the homemade appeal. It's nice to try new things, and it was true to the claims of quick, easy and tasty. It just wasn't our favorite.
Jan 8, 2013
nice to try new things
Apr 22, 2012
Very good! Tastes like something you'd order at a restaurant!
Mar 10, 2009
Made for dinner last night, and, since I had everything in, it was easy to put together.
Jan 11, 2009
This IS a great recipe. It's even easier and faster by using store-bought frozen meatballs (beef or chicken). This meal can be put together in a very short time. Excellent!
Oct 9, 2008
Delicious! Easy to prepare and my family (including two picky eaters ages 2 & 4) loved it. Yumm...can't wait to make this one again!