Sweet and Spicy Tossed Salad
Here's a tongue-tingling medley that combines sweet cherries and walnuts spiced with ginger, cayenne and curry. Plus, the maple vinaigrette is delightfully different from other salad dressings. If you like, toss in some dried cranberries or raisins. —Mardee Thomas, Fortson, Georgia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes22 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1-1/3 cups walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 packages (5 ounces each) spring mix salad greens
- 1 package (5 ounces) dried cherries
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, combine walnuts and butter. Add the sugar, ginger, curry, salt and cayenne; toss to coat. Spread in a single layer in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, syrup, mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil. In a salad bowl, combine the salad greens, cherries and onion. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese and toasted walnuts. Serve immediately.