Sweet and Spicy Barbecued Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + marinating Bake: 2 hours 10 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 7 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; rub over ribs. Place in two large resealable plastic bags; seal and refrigerate overnight.
- Line two 15x10x1-in. baking pans with foil; grease the foil. Place ribs in prepared pans. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the water, ketchup, tomato paste, brown sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove ribs from the oven. Grill ribs, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes, turning and basting frequently with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 432 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1785mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Jan 31, 2012
I am VERY fussy about ribs. They are better then I thought they would be. But they are not perfect to me. BUT!! My fussy kids and wife loved them. The prep time is long for me. Mix first 7 ingredients together the night before, rub on then sit overnight. Then next day put them in the oven for 2 hours and cook the sauce for an hour. The recipe is simple enough but calls for a lot of commited time for most families. Then grill for 20 minutes basting constantly!! I used oak wood heat for 20 minutes and got a great mellow smoke flavor. Don't get me wrong these ribs are good, especially for kids and others who like very mild sauce. I gave it a 4 because of the time spent you could make better ribs. The ribs are very tender and juicy. Hope this helps.
Apr 2, 2011
I made this a while ago using short ribs and was on here trying to find this recipe for pork baby back ribs for dinner tomorrow. I am so glad I found it! It's one of those recipes you remember! The rub was outstanding and so simple.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.