Sweet and Spicy Barbecued Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + marinating Bake: 2 hours 10 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 7 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; rub over ribs. Place in two large resealable plastic bags; seal and refrigerate overnight.
- Line two 15x10x1-in. baking pans with foil; grease the foil. Place ribs in prepared pans. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the water, ketchup, tomato paste, brown sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove ribs from the oven. Grill ribs, covered, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes, turning and basting frequently with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 432 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1785mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Jan 31, 2012
I am VERY fussy about ribs. They are better then I thought they would be. But they are not perfect to me. BUT!! My fussy kids and wife loved them. The prep time is long for me. Mix first 7 ingredients together the night before, rub on then sit overnight. Then next day put them in the oven for 2 hours and cook the sauce for an hour. The recipe is simple enough but calls for a lot of commited time for most families. Then grill for 20 minutes basting constantly!! I used oak wood heat for 20 minutes and got a great mellow smoke flavor. Don't get me wrong these ribs are good, especially for kids and others who like very mild sauce. I gave it a 4 because of the time spent you could make better ribs. The ribs are very tender and juicy. Hope this helps.
Apr 2, 2011
I made this a while ago using short ribs and was on here trying to find this recipe for pork baby back ribs for dinner tomorrow. I am so glad I found it! It's one of those recipes you remember! The rub was outstanding and so simple.