Sweet and Sour Pot Roast for Two
This has been a favorite in our family for years. I can still remember how the aroma filled the house and made everyone's mouth's water before Sunday dinner. Here, the recipe is sized for two people.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck steak (3/4 pound and 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 small carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large red potato, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into eight wedges
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, thyme, marjoram, nutmeg and pepper. Rub over meat. In a skillet, cook meat in oil until browned on both sides; drain. Combine 1-1/4 cups water, vinegar and molasses. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Stir in the carrots, potato and onion. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pot roast and vegetables.