Sweet and Sour Pot Roast for Two
This has been a favorite in our family for years. I can still remember how the aroma filled the house and made everyone's mouth's water before Sunday dinner. Here, the recipe is sized for two people.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 50 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck steak (3/4 pound and 3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 small carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 large red potato, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into eight wedges
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, thyme, marjoram, nutmeg and pepper. Rub over meat. In a skillet, cook meat in oil until browned on both sides; drain. Combine 1-1/4 cups water, vinegar and molasses. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Stir in the carrots, potato and onion. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with pot roast and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 615 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Sweet 'N' Sour Pot Roast in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook