These meatballs can also be made with ground venison instead of the ground beef - they're delicious either way! The recipe is great for parties or other social gatherings because it's simple to make and can easily be doubled.
Recommended: 37 Marvelous Meatball Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 2 dozen 1-1/2-in. balls. Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- For sauce, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add pineapple and juice, green onions, vinegar and soy sauce; cook and stir just until thickened and bubbly. Pour over meatballs.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Stir in green pepper. Cover and bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs in Country Extra May 1994, p47
Reviews forSweet-and-Sour Meatballs
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2017
Reviewed May. 25, 2012
"Made these for years. Love 'em"