Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 jar (12 ounces) apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup Russian or Catalina salad dressing
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 pounds elk steaks, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine soup mix and water; let stand for 15 minutes. Add preserves, salad dressing, brown sugar and vinegar; mix well. Place elk in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour apricot mixture over the elk. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 30-40 minutes longer or until meat is fork-tender. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 397 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1104mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
Nov 25, 2011
best elk recipe ever
Sep 27, 2009
There are no hunters in my family, but this recipe was great with leftover beef. I bake beef roasts often and always seem to have lots of beef leftover which is too dry for sandwiches. This is a terrific way to use it up. It also cuts down on the cooking time, too, as I only baked it the last 30-40 minutes. Leftover steak would be great in it too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.