- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup snow peas, thawed
- 1/2 medium sweet red or green pepper, cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a nonstick skillet, cook the chicken, carrot and onion in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the zucchini, peas and red pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, pepper and pineapple juice until smooth. Stir in the ketchup, lemon juice and soy sauce. Pour over chicken mixture. Add pineapple. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSweet-and-Sour Chicken with Rice
"A really nice alternative to high calorie takeout. Very tasty and easy to make. I also added some crushed red pepper and think I will add some garlic next time."
"Yummy! I used veggies on hand (green pepper, red onion, carrot), and reduced the sugar. We like things a little spicy, so I added some red pepper flakes at the end. Will definitely make again!"
"This was good. When my boyfriend and I made this, he doubled the recipe, making the sweet-and-sour sauce just a bit too much, but it was still very good. The vegetable mix was great."