Sweet and Sour Carrots
I’ve rounded out many dinners with my carrots. I like them best with a main dish of roast turkey, brisket or braised short ribs.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, sliced
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and orange juice. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Stir in cranberries and orange zest; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add carrots and water; stir until well coated. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the pine nuts, vinegar, salt and cranberry mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until carrots are tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 184 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Embellished Sweet and Sour Carrots in Country Woman Christmas 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.