- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 96 miniature pretzels
- 96 M&M's miniature baking bits
- 48 small red gumdrops
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into eight portions; cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. circle; cut into six wedges. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press in pretzels for antlers, baking bits for eyes and a gumdrop for the nose.
- Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forSweet and Salty Chocolate Reindeer
"I thought this was hard to roll out..not stiff enough to roll. They are cute though and good for kids. Not a lot of taste, but again they are not too sweet for kids. I used icing for the noses as I couldn't find mini gum drops."
"The only thing going for these is that they are cute. My kids ate one and said, "It doesn't have much flavor." That's all they ate."
"These were easy to make, and looked pretty good too. Not a great roller, I definitely have many different sized reindeer, but the effect is fun! Not super sweet, my son said they were very chocolately, but I didn't think so. Ingredients were widely available at the grocery store this time of year, and on sale!"