- 2 pounds pickling cucumbers (about 8 to 10 medium), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons salt, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons celery seed
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, toss vegetables with 2 tablespoons salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours. Drain and rinse; drain well. Return to bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; stir to combine.
- Transfer to freezer containers or canning jars, leaving 1-in. headspace; cool completely. Freeze, covered, up to 6 months.
- Thaw in refrigerator before serving. Store thawed pickles in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Yield: 32 servings (1/4 cup each)
Reviews forSweet 'n' Tangy Freezer Pickles
"I am not a sweet and sour fan but I liked these and my family LOVED them!!"