"I found this down-home recipe in a cookbook published by patrons and friends of the small independent school where I teach third grade," writes Tia Yeatts of Tappahannock, Pennsylvania.
Recommended: 39 Ways to Make Meat Loaf
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- MEAT LOAF:
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- In a saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the first six meat loaf ingredients; add 2/3 cup of the reserved sauce. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well.
- Pat into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Pour the remaining sauce over loaves. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 2 loaves (5 servings each).
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Sour Meat Loaf in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p18
Reviews forSweet 'n' Sour Meat Loaf
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 23, 2012
"This is the only meatloaf that I and my children like! Very flavorful :)~"