Sweet 'n' Savory Apple Stuffing Recipe
After a few dozen Thanksgivings, I began to search for a new stuffing recipe. With its bits of fruit and nuts, this one has become my favorite. —Karen Horne Staab of New Rochelle, New York
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 1/2 cup tropical medley dried fruit mix
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (12 ounces) unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1. In a skillet, cook the apple, celery, onion, parsley, green onions and celery leaves in butter until tender. Stir in the fruit mix, cranberries, pecans, poultry seasoning, salt, sage and pepper; mix well. Stir in broth, water and stuffing. Toss to coat evenly.
- 2. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and lightly browned. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup: 183 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Sweet 'n' Savory Apple Stuffing
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC