- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 3 medium heads cabbage (6 to 7 pounds), shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 7 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in vinegar and water. Add egg and milk. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Cook 2 minutes longer or until slightly thickened. Cool to room temperature, stirring several times.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar and cream. Stir in mayonnaise. Add cooked dressing; mix well. In several large bowls, combine the cabbage, carrots, celery and green onions. Add dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 32 (3/4-cup) servings.
Reviews forSweet 'n' Creamy Coleslaw
"Delicious! It makes an enormous amount of coleslaw and it would be helpful to have a reduced version."
"For our taste it needed just a little more salt."
"Does anyone have a reduced version of this recipe? It's just myself & my DHCA_girl"