While cleaning out the fridge I found barbecue sauce, red pepper jelly and hoisin sauce – the perfect trio for creating this this slightly tangy and sweet, utterly delicious roast. —Rachel Van Orden, Annville, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 28 Impressive Holiday Roast Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds)
- 2 medium onions, sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup red pepper jelly
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add onions and 1 cup water.
- In a small bowl, mix barbecue sauce, jelly and hoisin sauce; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Stir into pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and onions. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet & Tangy Beef Roast in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2015, p18