My family loves to grill in the summer, and this is our go-to recipe when hosting friends and family. Every bite is full of flavor and the chicken is always tender and juicy. —Joy Yurk, Grafton, Wisconsin
Featured In: 25 Delicious Ways to Cook Chicken Legs
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups white wine
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 chicken drumsticks
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- For marinade, in a large bowl, combine wine, onions, lemon juice and garlic. Pour 2 cups marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Add bay leaves to remaining marinade; cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine tomato puree, honey, molasses, salt, thyme, cayenne, pepper and remaining marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaves; stir in vinegar. Reserve 1 cup sauce for serving; keep warm.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade in bag. Grill chicken, covered, on an oiled rack over indirect medium heat 15 minutes. Turn; grill 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, brushing occasionally with remaining sauce. Serve chicken with reserved sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet & Tangy Barbecued Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p219