- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Dash Louisiana-style hot sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the salt and spices; set aside. In a large heavy skillet, melt butter. Add walnuts and pecans; cook over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with spice mixture. Add the brown sugar, water, Worcestershire and hot sauce. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 cups.
Reviews forSweet & Spicy Nuts
"Excellent recipe. I have been looking for a recipe that contains the sweet and the spicy element and does not use the egg white method. This is exactly what I was searching for. I leave out the chipotle powder and the chili powder (the cayenne is just enough spice for me) and add about 1/8 tsp, of cardomom. Thank you for the recipe."
"I find these to be quite addicting, but DH did not like the spiciness of them."
"Very easy to make and tasty!"
"I made this according to directions. I'm using it to add crunch to a large salad. Turned out perfect. I will make this again."
"I had prepared this recipe and I think it's great! that is how I rated this recipe when I prepared it-I had made changes in the recipe: I omitted the chipotle powder and substituted smoky seasoning. I used 6 cups of shelled walnuts, 1-1/2 cups pecan halves OR almonds & substituted 1/4 cup maple syrup for the brown sugar!I baked the nuts at 250o F. for 25 to 30 minutes in a large roasting pan. This recipe, when adjusted, made almost 3 quarts! This is a wonderful recipe to use as an appetizer and knowing me, I'll turn back to using this recipe! Dawn E. Lowenstein"
"The flavor is good, but not great. The butter and sugar make it more of a nutty caramel."
"Great party appetizer!"
"good one. I will try it."
"These are delicious! I didn't have chipotle powder so used an extra 1/4 tsp. chili powder. I toasted the pecans & walnuts together in a skillet. The pecans toast much faster than the walnuts, next time I will toast the nuts on separate pans in the oven & then transfer them to a skillet. I like the combo of walnuts & pecans, just a personal choice."