- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, cayenne and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the ketchup, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Use as a basting sauce for grilled meats. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Reviews forSweet & Spicy Barbecue Sauce
"A little too much chili powder for my taste and we also prefer a bit sweeter so I added brown sugar and it was really tasty, just the right amount of heat."
"This sounds great because there is no extra sugar added and I use Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup."
"I make this sauce to put on my Guinness Baby back Ribs. It is Great!!!"