You'll be surprised at the incredible flavors of this pizza. The wine, thyme and peach preserves elevate this pizza to company-worthy status. —Tammie Haas, Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Recommended: Our All-Time Best Pizzas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 medium tart apple, thinly sliced
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 2 cups shredded smoked mozzarella or Gouda cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon. Discard drippings.
- In same pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in preserves, wine, maple syrup and remaining thyme. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in apples; cook 5 minutes longer or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease two 14-in. pizza pans; roll dough to fit pans. Pinch edges to form a rim. Brush dough with remaining oil.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Spread with apple mixture; top with sausage and cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 pizzas (16 slices each).
Originally published as Sweet & Smoky Sausage Pizzas in TasteofHome.com 2017