Swedish Sugar Toast
"The recipe for this tasty spiced toast comes from a dear friend, and I've shared it with many people," says Helen Applequist, a reader from St. Louis Park, Missouri.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Butter, softened
- 1 loaf white bread, thinly sliced (about 18 slices)
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread; sprinkle sugar mixture on buttered side. Cut in half diagonally. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 122 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Swedish Sugar Toast in Quick Cooking May/June 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.