Swedish Potato Dumpling Soup
Family and friends gather around our table throughout the year to enjoy good company and great food. As part of our traditional Christmas Eve meal, I serve this hearty soup.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + simmering
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 6-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 2 celery ribs, quartered
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 4 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen noodles
- 2 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed (without added milk or butter)
- 1 egg, beaten or egg substitute equivalent
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- In a 5-qt. soup kettle, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 hours. Remove chicken; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Add enough water to make 8 cups; return to kettle. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into chunks; add to kettle along with beans and noodles. Bring to a boil; cook for 20 minutes.
- For dumplings, combine the potatoes, egg, cream, sugar and salt if desired in a medium bowl. Gradually add flour to make a stiff dough (it should form a peak when spoon is lifted). Drop by teaspoons into boiling soup. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 192 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Oct 23, 2011
The Swedish Dumplings are "Gnocchi".I knew this as soon as saw this part of recipe.Floaters afterwards,means "done".A Great Idea&Lighter than Traditional "Dumplings".delicious 10 Stars.