- 1 egg
- 2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- In a bowl, beat egg; add 1/3 cup cream, bread crumbs, onion and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add beef; mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meatballs in butter, half at a time. Remove from the pan; set aside. Drain fat. To pan, add flour, bouillon, pepper, garlic salt and remaining salt; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in water; bring to a boil, stirring often. Add potatoes and meatballs. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in peas and remaining cream; heat through. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forSwedish Meatball Soup
"It was very bland. Next time will add more spices to give it flavor."
"I added a 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg to the meatball mixture and also a pinch to the broth. This soup is delicious served with a loaf of crusty sourdough. My family loved it!"
"I am now 77 years young, however. my grandparents came from Sweden in the early 1900's, consequently we ate various Swedish soups. One similar to this was in the recipe box. I added a "wee pinch" of nutmeg to the meatballs, and one leek when cooking the potatoes for a bit of flavor. When serving I chopped just a few sprinkles of fresh dill. Delicious and reminded me of my childhood and Grandm's house."
"Oh my gosh what a great soup! I added nutmeg to the meatball mixture because Swedes always use nutmeg in meatballs. I live in an area where the majority of the population is Swedish and I have never heard of Swedish meatball soup. My church has a soup tureen in January and i can't wait to take this. I am confident it will be a hit! Thanks for the great recipe!"