This is a traditional Scandinavian Christmas recipe which I bake every year. It is so yummy! When cutting the slices, cut on angle for larger slices.—Mrs. Barbara Adam, Swift Current, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes4 loaves (10 slices each)
- 9-1/2 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups dark corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, combine 8 cups flour, yeast and orange zest. In a large saucepan, heat the corn syrup, water, orange juice and butter to 120°-130°; stir until butter is melted. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky dough). Do not knead.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into four round loaves. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 179 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Swedish Limpa in Country Woman Christmas 2008