Swedish Cinnamon Twists Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt, baking soda and 5 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 16-in. x 9-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough.
- 4. Fold in half lengthwise, forming a 16-in. x 4-1/2-in. rectangle; pinch edges to seal. Cut into 4-1/2-in. x 1-in. strips; twist each strip two or three times. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm twists. Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.
1 each: 185 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Swedish Cinnamon Twists
"These cinnamon twists are as delicious as they look!!!!"