Rice pudding is an old-fashioned dessert that is comforting and delicious. The creamy treat has a mild vanilla flavor.—Karla Larson, East Moline, Illinois
Recommended: 50 Best Comfort Foods from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- Dash salt
- 4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the water, rice and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Add milk and 1/3 cup sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Whisk together the eggs and remaining sugar. Gradually stir 2 cups hot rice mixture into the egg mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into a serving bowl.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled. Just before serving, sprinkle with cinnamon. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Swedish Christmas Rice Pudding in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p71
Reviews forSwedish Christmas Rice Pudding
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 9, 2018