Swedish Cardamom Rolls
Raisins, walnuts, orange peel and cardamom give these golden, tender sweet rolls real holiday appeal. Guests are often surprised to learn they're homemade!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounces each) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional raisins
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, eggs, orange zest, cardamom, salt and 3-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in raisins, walnuts and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12x10-in. rectangle.
- Cut in half to form two 12x5-in. rectangles. Cut each into twelve 5x1-in. strips; roll strips into 6-in. ropes.
- To shape rolls, place two ropes on a greased baking sheet to form an X. Coil each end toward the center. Press a raisin into the center of each coil. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 154 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Swedish Cardamom Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.