Susie Sunshine Cake
This cake is so light and lemony no one will believe it starts with a boxed mix. The frosting (frozen whipped topping flavored with grated citrus peels) looks professional, but it's quite easy to blend. Fresh fruit garnishes provide the fun final touches.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Red and yellow liquid food coloring
- 2 medium lemons, sliced and halved
- 2 medium oranges, sliced and halved
- 2 blueberries
- 1 large strawberry
- Prepare and bake the cake according to package directions, using a greased and floured 8-in. round baking pan. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to a 12- to 14-in. serving plate.
- In a bowl, combine whipped topping and lemon and orange zest. Frost top and sides of cake. Place drops of red and yellow food coloring randomly over frosting. With a spatula, blend colors randomly.
- Alternate lemon and orange slices around base of cake to form rays. Add two orange slices and blueberries for eyes. Slice the strawberry; use two center slices for the mouth, placing them on the cake with straight edges touching. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Susie Sunshine Cake in Quick Cooking July/August 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.