Susie’s Hot Mustard
My husband enjoys spreading this bold, robust mustard on anything that needs an extra "bite" of flavor. —Susie Gibson, Alta Loma, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 can (4 ounces) ground mustard
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed, optional
- In a small bowl, combine mustard and vinegar. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large saucepan, whisk the eggs, sugar, molasses, honey and mustard mixture. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°, about 20 minutes. Cool. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard seed if desired. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 148 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Susie's Hot Mustard in Country Woman Christmas 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.