- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-in star cookie cutter or the cutter of your choice. Place half of the stars on ungreased baking sheets. Spoon 1-1/2 teaspoonfuls of pie filling into the centers of each. Top with remaining stars. Pinch edges to seal; cut a small slit in top of each cookie.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and extract in a bowl; whisk until smooth. Spread over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forSurprise Sugar Stars
"Very good. I used cookie cutters that were a bit larger but still did not get even 2 dozen cookies. I have a lot of pie filling left over. It seemed to seep out even though I tried my best to seal the cookies. My cookies are large, smell wonderful--and I hope will be enjoyed at a holiday celebration."