- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup shortening, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup plus 1 to 3 teaspoons evaporated milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream 1/2 cup shortening and remaining sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Combine the cocoa, baking soda and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat butter and remaining shortening. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, cooled sugar mixture and remaining vanilla until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Insert a large round tip into a pastry or plastic bag; fill with filling. Insert the tip halfway into the center of each cupcake and fill with a small amount of filling.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, melt chips with 1/3 cup evaporated milk over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from the heat. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Add enough remaining milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forSurprise Red Cupcakes
"Used only 1 cup of confectioner's sugar in frosting to make frosting less sweet. These cup cakes are awesome!!!"
"I make red velvet cake every year for my husbands Christmas birthday and this recipe is almost identical to the one I use. It was amazing and I may have to switch to this recipe for my husbands birthday! I thought it was explained very well, although I still, even after 45 years of baking, read through the entire recipe before I start it just to make sure I understand what I need to do."
"blechcupcakes, sorry the cupcakes could NOT be as bad as you say. The ingredients alone would make a good cake unless you don't know how to bake and screwed up the way you mixed it. How do you get rocks from a smooth batter?? The review you gave was unkind and Unnecessary, You could have just said the it was not good, too much work, and you wouldn't try it again. It does have a lot of steps, but my Grandkids as worth it and it was fun to make something new."
"THese were great cupcakes; nice batter and the filling was a nice treat. I also find it strange that people would make a comment without baking the item and give it a negative rating. My only guess is that blechcupcakes didn't follow the recipe correctly or to be honest, it sounds like she added the confectioner's sugar to the mix, which would certainly make it lumpy and dry. Again, baker error is the only think I can find from her statement as she only complained, not explained what she had done."
"What I find baffling is that with each comment, each person gives 1 star, only further lowering the average stars on this recipe. This recipe is quite involved with many steps, but yields a delicious end result. It's very reminiscent of an old-fashioned recipe where no "box" mixes even existed. Prep time alone is estimated at 1 hour so I would classify this as a recipe for a baker with some experience. Good luck to those willing to try it. :)"
"I've read all the comments like I usually do before making TofH recipes. Interesting. I am stil going to make these as I am an experience baker and the recipe looks very simiar to one I have made before. I am thinking that ToH has made these before having the recipe on this site?? I wish that blechcupcakes could have just said that the recipe didn't work for her. Her day was certaily ruined by making a ToH recipe. Hard to believe that one person makes the reicipe and says it turned out awful and another make it and says it turned out a hit. Hope that blechcupcakes has a better day."
"Seriously, I'd like to know which review is true? Did blechcupcakes maybe make a mistake, or not follow the directions - the directions are sot of complicated if you aren't an experienced baker."
"Not possible. Somebody is lying. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could submit the truth. It can't be both. It's either one or the other."
"This recipe is absolutely awful. Don't bother investing any time in buying the ingredients and then using them to complete this recipe unless you want to be thoroughly disappointed. Buy mix from the store. It is vastly better and would be considered gourmet compared to this awful garbage. Or just eat a handful of dirt with small rocks mixed in since it would be drastically more satisfying than trying to consume this pathetic excuse of a recipe that supposedly constitutes "cupcakes". If I could give a negative star rating there would not be enough stars to fill the rating. Since there is no zero star rating then I have to give it a one to be able to post my comment. Thanks for wasting my time surprise red cupcake recipe."