These cupcakes are easy to whip up, but everyone will think you've worked for hours because of the "secret" creamy filling inside. They're great for picnics and lunch boxes. —Susan Muehmer, Delaware, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Dash salt
- Chocolate frosting, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, oil, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In another large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and salt until smooth. Drop a teaspoonful of filling into each cupcake.
- Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Pipe frosting on cupcakes if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 227 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Surprise-Inside Cupcakes in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.