Surprise Clam Chowder
When family and friends first sampled this stew some 40 years ago, they were pleasantly surprised by the combination of ingredients. Now it's a dish they frequently request.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 can (7-1/2 ounces) minced clams, undrained
- In a saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add ham and clams; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 135 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Surprise Clam Chowder in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.