Supreme Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (8 ounces) whipped cream cheese
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherries and fresh mint, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. beat in vanilla.
- In a bowl, whisk cocoa and water until smooth; stir in buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat cream cheese until light. Add 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar; mix well. Add the vanilla, cream and remaining sugar; beat until frosting reaches desired consistency. Place one cooled cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the frosting. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with maraschino cherries and mint if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 505 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 22, 2012
Very dense cake, but the frosting is yummy!
May 2, 2009
This is one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes. The cream cheese (I use regular cream cheese) and whipped cream frosting is fabulous. I use the frosting for other recipes, as well. The cake tastes even better the next day.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.