Summertime…and all suppers should be as easy as these hefty and flavorful hand-held sandwiches. Sent in by Esther Danielson of Lake Arrowhead, California, they’re sure to be a hit with all ages! TIP: For variety, a tad more sophistication or just easier eating, serve these scrumptious sandwiches open-faced.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons mustard or mayonnaise
- 2 hoagie buns, split and toasted
- Cut sausage in half widthwise; cut eat piece lengthwise to within 1/4 in. of opposite side. Place sausage cut side down in a large skillet; add red pepper, onion and butter. Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomato if desired; heat through. Spread mustard over cut sides of buns; fill with sausage and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 622 calories, 39g fat (15g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 1685mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Supper Sandwiches in Simple & Delicious July/August 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.