The idea for this recipe came to me when I saw someone dip a slice of pizza into a pasta dish. My wife and kids love it and so do my friends! —Robert Smith, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 fresh mozzarella cheese pearls
- 12 slices pimiento-stuffed olives
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking up meat into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, pepperoni, sugar, parsley and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Drain spaghetti; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Top each serving with 2 cheese pearls and 2 olive slices to resemble eyes.
Freeze option: Do not cook or add spaghetti. Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Place beef mixture in a large skillet; heat through, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Proceed as directed.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 400 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.