- 6 medium sweet yellow peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Sour cream and minced chives, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the peppers, onion and potato in oil and butter if desired for about 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute or until garlic is tender.
- Stir in the broth, bay leaf, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly; puree in batches in a blender. Return to pan. Stir in buttermilk; heat through. Serve hot or cold; garnish with sour cream and chives if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forSuperb Yellow Pepper Soup
"My husband doesn't like peppers, but this sounded so good I thought I would make it. It was so good, and even he liked it! Very pretty too."