Super Sloppy Joes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 10 hamburger or hoagie buns, split
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun. Freeze option: Place individual portions cooled meat mixture in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little broth / water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 306 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 473mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 10, 2018
This was very good. It does make a lot so we did freeze half and thaw and eat about a month later. My only problem was that we found that our batch had a lot of spicy heat in it and we can't figure out where it came from as there is no pepper or hot pepper sauce or pepper flakes in the recipe. My wife is highly sensitive to capsaicin to the point where even the smallest amount will cause blistering in her mouth. She found this too uncomfortable to eat.
Jan 14, 2018
I was expecting much more flavor with all the ingredients. I thought it was very blah. The only change I made was to add salt and it did not help.
Jan 12, 2018
I followed the recipe exactly and was disappointed with the result. Surprisingly bland. This recipe as is, is not a keeper.
Jan 1, 2018
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to modify this recipe for an instant pot. My family loves the recipe and i love my new instant pot!Thank you
Dec 11, 2017
These are AMAZING!!! I've been making them for years, my family LOVES them!!
Oct 16, 2017
Taste was good, but mine needed more sauce. Only change I made was I pureed a tomato instead of using canned.
Aug 7, 2017
Fantastic sloppy Joe recipe! It really hit the spot!
Jul 1, 2017
These sloppy Joes are soooo good! We will fix these again and again!!
Sep 19, 2016
These were very tasty. I had to omit the green pepper but still very good! Thank you for sharing!
Feb 28, 2016
I made this recipe the other night, and my husband and I both really liked it! There was just a tad too much brown sugar, so I'll cut back on that to 1 tbsp., but I definitely will make this again! This recipe made 6 sandwiches on whole wheat buns. It reminds me of sloppy Joes my mom used to make for us many, many years ago!