Super Short Ribs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 3 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Hot cooked noodles
- Place onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add ribs and bay leaf. Combine the beer, brown sugar, mustard, tomato paste, thyme, bouillon, salt and pepper. Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 257 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Feb 27, 2016
Great recipe!! I did use pork ribs but kept everything else the same
Sep 20, 2013
Very yummy! I substituted beef broth for the beer and I braised them in the oven for 2 hours instead of cooking in the slow cooker - the sauce cooked down so it wasn't necessary to thicken it at the end. Loved the sauce. Definitely a keeper!
Oct 25, 2012
My entire family, including two picky kids, really enjoyed this meal. They voted it a "keeper" and have already asked for it again. Yummy and super simple - great combination.
Sep 20, 2012
This was so flavorful. I added some minced garlic like one review said.
Apr 11, 2012
It tasted like beef roast with carrots mfrom the oven. Nothing outstanding. Lacked umph!
May 4, 2011
Short ribs done in a crock pot is so delicious. One of my favorite dinners.
Apr 20, 2011
I forgot to mention that I added a couple of minced garlic cloves, sliced carrots, celery and broccoli to the onions, which all added to the flavor of this dish.
Apr 20, 2011
I made this tonight; easy and very tasty! The gravy has such an interesting flavor! I highly recommend this recipe!!
Apr 4, 2011
Very tasty and the whole gang loved it