This big, meaty, super sandwich is one I've made many times when I knew I'd be feeding a hungry bunch. Everyone remarks on the tasty olive salad tucked between slices of meat and cheese. Since it can be made ahead, you're free to visit with family and friends. —Patrice Barker, Tampa, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1 round loaf (1-1/2 pounds) unsliced sourdough, white or whole wheat bread
- 1/2 pound sliced fully cooked ham
- 1/4 pound sliced salami
- 1/4 pound sliced cooked pork
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced Muenster cheese
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, onion, olives and salad dressing; set aside.
- Cut 1 in. off the top of the bread; set aside. Carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.)
- Layer a fourth of the ham, salami, pork and cheeses inside the shell. Top with third of the vegetable mixture. Repeat layers, ending with meat and cheeses, gently pressing down to flatten as needed.
- Replace bread top; wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate until serving.
Editor's Note: This recipe may be made a day ahead.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 641 calories, 33g fat (15g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1767mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein.
Oct 21, 2011
This sandwich is quick and easy to make and gets lots of compliments!
Sep 2, 2009
Everytime I serve this sandwich everyone loves it, I have changed up the bread to an italian loaf makes it easier to serve
Aug 3, 2008
Difficult to eat, but Very Good!