Super Chunky Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup vanilla or white chips
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 115 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Super Chunky Cookies
"These were incredible, and I will make them again and again. I upped the amount of vanilla chips and left out the bittersweet."
"I loved the combination of using shortening and butter. I used butter flavored Crisco shortening. I think it made a nice, rich dough and helped hold the shape of the cookies better. I didn't have any toffee bits but I will put them in next time. They were delicious even without the toffee bits! A new favorite cookie!"
"Quite nice. I enjoyed that it was chewy but crisp when you bit into it. I didn't have the required chips on hand. I used: Ghirardelli bittersweet baking chips (larger sized), dark chocolate morsels, mini chocolate chips and left over milk chocolate chips along with the toffee and nuts. Good over-all flavor, the base dough would be a good starter for other cookies."
"What can I use instead of shortening?"
"We make these ALL of the time. They are so amazing. We often leave out the nuts for fussy guests and you don't miss a thing."
"Nice and chewy. They turned out exactly like the picture. Make sure you use a sturdy spoon to stir in all the chips."
"these cookies are a big hit. I have made them three times and have never been disappointed."