Despite its brightly beaming nature, all eyes will be directly on this golden orb when you bring it out at a brithday event...so don't wait 'till the sun goes down to serve up slices! On the face of it, t he lighthearted tart will attract attention thanks to its pretzel-stick rays, sublime lime sunglasses and smiling strawberry lips. Besides those whimsical decorations, the dazzling dessert's homemasde crust, cream cheese layer and lemon topping are sure to get glowing reviews.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup finely crushed pretzels
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipped topping
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) lemon pie filling
- 21 pretzel sticks
- 1 medium lime
- 1 fresh strawberry with hull
- In a large bowl, combine the crushed pretzels, sugar and butter. Press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth; fold in whipped topping. Spread over crust; top with pie filling. Remove sides of pan; place tart on a 17-in. round covered board or platter
- Break seven pretzel sticks in half. Insert 1 in. apart into cream filling, alternating whole and halved pretzels.
- For sunglasses, cut the lime in half lengthwise; cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place two large lime slices, cut side up, for sunglasses. Remove the pulp from two more slices; cut two strips of peel and place next to lime slices.
- Remove leaves from strawberry; place over sunglasses for eyelashes. Cut strawberry in half; place with cut side down and wide sides together for mouth. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sunshine Tart in Country Woman July/August 2000, p54