Sunshine State Orange Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk water, orange juice, egg, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients. Drizzle over bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 183 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 11, 2013
I found this recipe as a result of accidentally purchasing high pulp orange juice which I don't like but don't want to throw away. The bread has a lovely light orange color, great texture and wonderful orange flavor. It's very easy to make, my 5 year old daycare boy had a great time helping me make this. We skipped the nuts and orange peel and it still turned out great. I will be sharing this with my Bible study group and imagine they will love it too. I also love that it is different from the usual banana or lemon quick breads. You won't be sorry if you try this one!