Sunshine Sherbet Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 8 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar and water to a boil; boil for 5 minutes. Cool completely. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into the cylinder of an ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Yield: about 2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 260 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 49mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Sunshine Sherbet
"This is absolutely delicious sherbet! I don't know why someone who hasn't even tried it is rating it when they have no idea what it tastes like. I discovered the recipe in a TOH magazine a number of years ago and have been making it ever since. I crave it in the summertime!"
"Love the sweetness of fruit in ice cream! BTW, the other person submitting a review was wrong: sherbet is basically like ice cream but uses fruit juices, sometimes sweetened, as the flavor base. Sorbet and gelato do not contain dairy products!"
"In case yiou don't know,sherbet does not have heavy cream in it,just milk,sugar and fruit juice. it shouild not be called sherbet."