- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 8 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, water and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in the cream, orange juice, evaporated milk, lemon juice, orange zest and food coloring if desired. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze until firm. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Reviews forSunshine Sherbet
"This is absolutely delicious sherbet! I don't know why someone who hasn't even tried it is rating it when they have no idea what it tastes like. I discovered the recipe in a TOH magazine a number of years ago and have been making it ever since. I crave it in the summertime!"
"Love the sweetness of fruit in ice cream! BTW, the other person submitting a review was wrong: sherbet is basically like ice cream but uses fruit juices, sometimes sweetened, as the flavor base. Sorbet and gelato do not contain dairy products!"
"In case yiou don't know,sherbet does not have heavy cream in it,just milk,sugar and fruit juice. it shouild not be called sherbet."